Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Luddite Goes Electric

Writers start off as readers. Good writers read a lot. Who the hell doesn't like new toys?

As odd as it might seem for someone who has spent a career working in leading edge software design, I'm really a luddite at heart. I love firelight over electric light. Give me a bottle of ink and a dip pen, and I'm happier than I could be writing on a high-end computer. So when the e-book buzz started getting louder and louder, it was easy for me to dismiss it out of hand.

Until I saw the Kindle.

Damn. They did a nice job on the design of that thing. A screen made of electronic paper. EVDO wireless capability so you can buy books directly from the device anywhere there is cellular service. It's small, light, easy to use...

I bought one. Yes, the luddite bought an e-book reader. And I'm loving it! In addition to the wireless, I can convert all my own material to e-book format using MobiPocketCreator and transfer it to the Kindle via a USB link. The annotation feature on the Kindle lets me proof my work and make notes in a more comfortable environment than sitting in front of the computer. I can't say enough good things about the device.

It's not all perfect (the power button is hard to reach when the Kindle is in it's cover and I'm always afraid it'll fall out of the cover since it's only held there by a small plastic tab) but it is a well-conceived, well built gadget, and I love it.

Even if you're a luddite like me, but someone who loves to read, don't dismiss the latest e-book readers. They've arrived.

1 comments:

Joan Kremer said...

Rich, I have a Kindle also and just LOVE it! It took me a while to remember some of the great features (like looking up definitions, highlighting, and adding notes) because I forgot it wasn't a book! But for someone who has had a lifetime love affair with books (you should see my bookshelves!), the Kindle has brought that relationship to a whole new level!

I hadn't thought of putting my own drafts on there for editing, though -- what a great idea!

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008