Wednesday, July 30, 2008

How Are You Going To Keep Them Down On The (Server) Farm?

Once you find what you love to do, it's painfully difficult to go back and do what you need to do.

Engineering pays the bills. And I'm good at it. Not the geeky kid building flashy video games good, but the older bearded Unix guy with the ponytail good. And it (usually) pays quite well, which writing doesn't. But now that I've tasted the joys of writing, I just can't find the passion to write software anymore: been there, done that, take a nap.

Yesterday, I was practically bouncing in my chair. Was it solving the impossible problem that was dropped in my lap with no documentation that had me doing a Tigger all day, or was it that I conceived and wrote a 100 word short story (a form I've been meaning to try for a while) on my drive to work?

I've seen Paris, and now the farm looks like so much dirt.

1 comments:

Joan Kremer said...

Hi Rich,

Your last few posts have really hit home with me, and especially this one. There's simply nothing more joy-filled and energizing for me as writing fiction! Yet, like you, I have to earn some income, which is no fun when story ideas are buzzing in my head. I wish I knew the answer (other than a winning lottery ticket -- which would never happen because I never buy the tickets!!).

At least in reading your posts, I don't feel so "alone" in that conundrum!

Joan

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008