Sunday, July 6, 2008

I've got the whole world, in my head...

It's getting rather crowded in there, and it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

I've started working on a few more short stories. Two of them exist only as ideas, and titles. Another seems to be expanding, taking up more and more idea space in my head. I suspect it isn't a short story after all, but a novella or even a novel.

It's quite daunting. Thus far I've been content to write short stories and examine other short form fiction. Now one of my creations has taken on a life of its own, but it's not yet fully formed. That's frustrating me. I'm writing page upon page of notes as ideas come, but nothing cohesive has presented itself yet. I can see images of the world in my story, but I'm not yet living there, or able to take an extended vacation there as yet. I need to be able to see that world as well as I can the one I spend most of my days inhabiting.

The idea if having a story that might lend itself to a longer work is exciting, but terrifying as well. I'm a rather harsh self-critic, and don't wish to screw up a good idea, and I think it might be a good idea. Neither to I want to over analyze and kill it that way. It's a tricky balancing act.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008