Sunday, June 8, 2008

Taking the first steps

It may seem obvious, but the first step in writing is to write. Write anything. I've heard it said, and found it true, that writing is like water seeping through a crack. Sometimes it flows, sometimes it gets plugged up for a time, but so long as the water flows, the crack will get wider and the water will flow more freely. A journal is a great way to write each day, even if it's nonsense you will never let anyone read. Maintaining a blog is another. Your imagination is your only limit.

The next step: reading. I've always been an avid reader, but now more than ever I'm trying to read anything I can get my hands on. The more you read, the more you begin to understand voices, structure, and the written word. Oral conversation is not a substitute.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008