Saturday, June 21, 2008

Read, rinse, repeat

My eyes are on fire and my brain is filled with fish.

Trying to put together a final draft isn't as easy as it looks. How many times can you read, and re-read the same fish story before you just don't see it any longer. I think I'm happy with the tone of the story at this point, though I'm sure that I could tweak it constantly for years. I think I found the last of the technical glitches: a misused word that a spell checker or grammar checker would never catch.

Let that last be a lesson: spell checkers and grammar checkers are not foolproof. They will choke on perfectly good sentences and let nonsense pass.

It's good to have someone you know and trust look over your manuscript. Hearing that readers like your work after it has been published is wonderful. Hearing everything that's wrong with it before it's been published is also wonderful. You don't have to agree with everything your friend/editor says, but it's good to hear it regardless. It might point out some things you've missed.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008