Friday, August 15, 2008

Pampering the Inner Writer

The writer in all of us is a temperamental artist, and needs to be coddled once in a while. So why not spoil it? Besides, when you spoil your inner writer, you get the benefit too!

For me, it's tactile things, things that hearken back to a less technology-oriented time. Did I mention that, my Kindle aside, I'm a Luddite at heart? My pampering, this time, has taken the form of a leather journal cover from Oberon Design. So many beautiful choices, it was hard to settle upon one. To fill the journal, I love the Moleskine journals. They simply feel nice, and are built to open flat, which makes them easy to use, too. I already have some fine fountain pens (Waterman, Parker, Rotring, Lamy, and others), but I'm just as happy with a straight pen and a bottle of cocoa brown ink I picked up from Levenger. For ambiance, I have a brass candle lamp with a cut glass shade. I love the shadows that candles cast. They add an air of mystery that saturating electric lights robs from us.

Whether it's writing in my journal, or writing letters (wax sealed, of course!), taking myself back in time with some fine things from a bygone era really helps bring out the writer in me. And when my inner writer is happy, and productive, I'm happy too.

1 comments:

Joan Kremer said...

Hi Rich,

I, too, just adore beautiful paper journals and great pens. Friends have called me a "pen snob" because I prefer certain kinds of pens (usually the more expensive kinds). It's the kind of pampering that writers deserve! Besides, it's well-known that writing by hand is different from typing, and every writer benefits from trying different ways of writing.

Alas

P.S. I love that you've linked to my blog, so I must share that I've moved it to my own web host because there were some legal issues with its URL on blogspot. Now it's: http://www.writersinthevirtualsky.com. In my last post there, I gave you credit for helping me get started - check it out!

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008